Sunday, December 20, 2015

ASCI 638 end of course

For the Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Master's course ASCI 638, I wrote a case analysis of UAS GCS design. As a tool, the case analysis was very effective in the course. Primarily, this came in the required research undertook for the paper. In my job, I work on advanced GCS design and have input to many human factors related design decisions. One of the most interesting things I found in my research was several papers written by the same author on this topic. I have used my research to bring up discussions with coworkers on the topic, and found out some of them knew the author I was talking about. He had worked indirectly with our project several years ago and was an early impetus for some of the human factors we currently do. It also provided a framework for some of the principles we now follow, since I better understand where they came from. Some other things I have found through my research is work that has been done in an area I am just starting to work on. I have additional tasks starting next year to incorporate some new technologies into our company's products. Some of these will be difficult to do, but I was able to find some research on the exact topic that will help guide some of our decisions. Particularly, I am going to try to use some of this research to convince one of our program managers that some of his expectations are not realistic. He has the right intent, but some of his ideas are actually counter to some important human factors principles, which have been researched and proven, specifically in the domain in which we work.